Sunday, December 29, 2013

Naturally Healthy Habits: Detox Water

With the approach of 2014 I know everyone is searching for ways to be healthier in the new year. I personally decided to take on the new year by trying out Healthy Habits. You know the things you see floating around Facebook and Instagram with amazing photos of things your promise yourself you are going to try and never do.

This week I decided to tryout Detox Water.

                                                   Detox Water- make your own cleansing detox drinks.

For those of you that do not know detox water has been boasted as a drink that will flush out toxins that are harboring in your body while leaving your refreshed.

I opted to try out the Cucumber version of this drink as all of the watermelon is out of season in my area. I combined
2 Cucumbers
2 Lemons
20 Mint leaves (found at Trader Joes for under $2)
Gallon of water
Ice
 
Why these ingredients?
 
Cucumbers contains citrulline (watermelon contains more) which is an ammino acid. I could tell you more but it would look more like a chemistry lesson but lets just say it helps your liver and kidneys.
 
Lemons are great for regulating your digestive track (heartburn, gas, constipation), stimulates and thins out bile which is produced in the liver and eventually breaks down fat in the small intestine.
 
Mint is great for helping your digestive system as well!
 
Water, well its water!
 
After combining all of the ingredients I allowed it to sit over night. Many sites suggest that you drink it daily. Honestly I am not that committed to the cause and my eating habits are not THAT bad. So I made a gallon with the idea of drinking it two days out of the week.
 
So did it work? Was it good?
 
If you do not like cucumbers this is NOT the drink for you. After my first few glasses I had this serious craving to pour ranch down my throat. However about mid day my pallet adjusted and I found that it began to taste like regular water to me. I did experience some dehydration in the beginning where I wanted to guzzle water but that passed quickly.
 
I did notice thinning in my mid section after the first day more so than usual (no complaints there). It also caused me to visit the bathroom a little more than usual, which is to be expected.
 
Final word:
 
There are hundreds of variations of Detox Water recipes out there, I challenge you to jump out there and try your own. And leave a comment below to let me know what you tried and how it went. The most important part is that you are drinking water throughout the day to keep your body healthy and hydrated!
 
Ciao
Naturally Z
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment